09 AprTeeny Update and Readings

I am currently designing a map to just show locations prominently featured in James Farmer’s lectures. I am also working on fliers and other things to advertise with.

In the article “Doing History in the Digital Age”, by Barbara Weinstein, I could relate to a lot about what she talked about. I too have felt like a “Google Goddess”, especially while doing this project, when I can google names as I think they are spelled and up pops the right answer/spelling.  I have also been in the position of feeling frustrated by the lack of technology in certain classes, or classes with horrible technology integration (I’m looking at you boring and tedious internet scavenger hunts.) I am also in love with Google Books, which allows me access to primary source books on eighteenth century midwifery and saves me a trip to the library.

The second article I read was “Strange Facts in the History Classroom: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Wiki(pedia)by Christopher Miller. This was so relevant, as many of us have heard NEVER to use Wikipedia. However, the footnotes on the site can be useful. I’ve even found myself defending Wikipedia in some classes, especially after watching the Wikipedia video (and now reading this article). It’s also an interesting lesson that Miller was able to teach.

For the final article, I looked at “Wikipedia and Women’s History: A Classroom Experience (Spring 2012 edition)” by Martha Saxton. I always find the lack of women’s history materials to be amazing. I went to Barnes and Noble during women’s history month, when they had only one history book on women in stock. (Of course, they didn’t see a problem with that and offered to place orders for whatever I wanted…I should have said more women’s history books). I also learned that Rosenzweig is a big deal and extremely influential when it comes to digital history. It is interesting that no primary sources are used as they are seen as unverifiable. Again, the assignment given by Saxton was very interesting and probably really helped in getting women inserted more into the traditional male dominated historical narrative.