25 JanCreative Uses and Other Websites

So…I’m kind of having difficulty thinking through this first one. Omeka would be great for cataloging resources. But, it presents information sort of statically (from what I’ve seen). I am someone who loves the bells and whistles of a website, even though I have NO idea how to construct such a thing. I feel like a blog could be very interesting, with a carousel of some type containing videos or images, allowing the visual viewer to scan through them first. I guess I also need to play around with plug-ins and experiment with how plausible that idea is. A timeline may work great for an introductory page. I think having a page where the viewer has to click to enter is always fun (unless the content on the other side isn’t).

The websites I looked at definitely had some good ideas, as well as things I’d like to avoid. I know in my 299 class, we did interactive websites, including the P.T. Barnum lost museum, which sent viewers on a quest for the perpetrator who set fire to it. While I really enjoyed that one, perhaps it’s not the best idea to employ with James Farmer. I really like the Valley of the Shadow; it’s straightforward, the click to enter, and doesn’t have distracting colors (which can be a plus sometimes.) The French Revolution one was visually appealing, but for some reason doesn’t expand to fit the screen, making me frustrated that it doesn’t use all the space. The UMW archives one, sadly, was the one I least liked. I felt as though it was difficult to navigate in the sense that it wasn’t a straightforward layout. I found there to be too many options and would have liked to have seen thumbnails of the images displayed as opposed to having to click back and forth in order to find the desired image. The Emancipation project fell flat as well, mainly due to a lack of visual appeal which made me eager to find other web pages to explore. The Gilded Age Plains City one is awesome. I like the idea of an interactive map, which some of the groups in our class could utilize. ¬†From these sites, it’s clear that archives are difficult to present in a way that is appealing, making our task all the more challenging. The Omeka site I looked at was the Martha Washington one, which I really liked. The blue background was just enough color to grab my attention and not enough to ¬†make it the only thing I wanted to look at. With only four tabs, the website was easy to explore and viewer friendly, even for those not so computer adept.

My problem will be controlling my urge to create something outlandishly colorful, although with respect to James Farmer I don’t think I could get too out of control. I’m more excited to see from behind the scenes how websites such as the ones we looked at are put together.

One Response to “Creative Uses and Other Websites”

1. ctrumbetic says:

I think we are all probably falling into the category or trying to do too much. I like to be entertained on the internet and I have a terrible time reading on the computer so I want to expand out project (UMW Buildings) into an interactive site with a ton of different features. I’m a colorful person too and I know I’m going to have to be monochromatic with our website of use mary washington’s colors so I’m not excited for that at all. I had the same frustration with the French Revolution website. It was hard enough to read on a normal computer, imagine what it would be like on a netbook.

RSS feed for comments on this post.